5.29.2013

Make it- Whole Grain Carrot Cake with Maple-Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Frosting {No Refined Sugars}

Our Little Lola recently had a birthday.  She requested a carrot cake to celebrate. That's where this all began.
Now, I'm not a big baker. I've made maybe 5 or 6 actual cakes in my entire life. Because, honestly, I don't really like cake. I'm more of a pie person. But after making this carrot cake, I think I may have turned into a cake person. Although, it reminds me more of a moist bread than cake. But with the frosting, It is one amazing cake!
Initially I looked around and couldn't find exactly what I wanted in a recipe. So I came up with this simple recipe for a healthful carrot cake as well as a delicious cream cheese frosting (without the added pound of powdered sugar and butter that most frostings have in them (yuck)).  

Forgive me for the photo. Our birthdays are messy and fun and I did not take any special time to take a great photo before the cake was quickly and happily eaten.
            ............................................................................................................................................................


Ingredients {Carrot Cake}:
  • -2 Cups Whole grain flour (I used 1 1/2 C Whole wheat pastry flour and 1/2 C spelt)
  • -1 tsp. Baking powder
  • -1 1/2 tsp. Baking soda
  • -1 tsp. Salt
  • -2 tsp. Cinnamon
  • -1/2 tsp Nutmeg
  • -1/2 tsp Ginger
  • -3/4 Cup Honey
  • -3/4 Cup Melted Coconut oil 
  • -4 Eggs
  • -1/2 A Vanilla bean, scraped (or 1tsp. vanilla extract)
  • -2 Cups Finely grated Carrots
  • -1/2 Cup Chopped Walnuts

Instructions {Carrot Cake}:

  1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Combine dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
  3. Add the honey, Coconut oil and eggs. Mix.
  4. Fold in the carrots and walnuts.
  5. Bake in two 9-in round cake pans that have been lightly greased for 30-40 minutes or until baked all the way though (You can test it by sticking a thin knife or toothpick in the center. If it comes out clean, its done.)
  6. Allow the cakes to cool for about 10 minutes before removing from the pans. Then allow to cool completely before icing with Maple Cream cheese Frosting.
                ................................................................................................................................................


      Ingredients {Maple-Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Frosting}:
      • 16 oz (8 oz block x 2) cream cheese (warmed to room temperature)
      • 16 oz Organic Heavy whipping cream
      • 1/2 C Maple Syrup
      • 1/2 a vanilla bean, scraped 
      • Dried, shredded Coconut (optional)

      Instructions {Maple-Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Frosting}:
      1. Place all ingredients (except coconut) in a bowl (or Strong blender-I use a Blendtec)
      2. Whip with egg beater (or blend in blender) until fluffy
      3. Spread over cooled cakes with spatula
      4. Sprinkle shredded coconut over frosting (optional)

      No comments:

      Post a Comment

      I love to read all your comments!

      Pin It button on image hover