12.09.2011

Make it- Caramel Molasses Popcorn Balls. On a Stick.

Anybody remember eating Cracker Jack . The taste of these popcorn balls reminds me of that snack. And remember finding the fun prize in the box? That was one of the best parts. 

Caramel Molasses Popcorn Balls. On a stick {Make about 24 balls}

Ingredients:
1 14oz. can of Sweetened Condensed milk
1/4 Cup Molasses
1 Stick of butter (1/2 Cup) 
About 12 Cups of Air popped corn

I don't have a candy thermometer so I used the Hub's temperature trick (see recipe*). He grew up in a fudge shop.

Other handy tools and extras:
*A small cup of very cold water.
Wax paper
Popsicle sticks (24)


In a vey large pot, combine sweetened condensed milk, molasses and butter. Stir constantly at medium heat. 

*After about 10 minutes of stirring (I count this hard work as my exercise for the day. You can too), drip a bit of the hot caramel sauce in your cold cup of water. 
If is solidifies, you're ready. If it's still too liquidy, keep caramel on heat for a few minutes more.    
After caramel is ready, turn off heat and stir in all the popcorn until coated with caramel sauce.
Form into balls onto wax paper and stab each with a popsicle stick.

Now, be careful. I ate about 8 of these in a few hours. But, I tend to have little self-control when it comes to homemade treats.

2 comments:

  1. ONLY 8! I could totally beat your record! ;o)
    They look so yummy!
    xoxo
    ~ joey ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I dunno. I've been known to eat way way passed my limit they were so worth it though.(:

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all your comments!

Pin It button on image hover