7.07.2011

To trap a mouse...

This is the story of my unsuccessful attempt at humanely trapping a mouse.


A few weeks ago, we found a mouse running around our house. After many late night mouse and human antics trying to catch him, we set up this simple, home made and humane trap:
{Source}
But it seems the breed of mouse living here was too clever for it. 


Before I tell you how we trapped the mouse, I must first plead my case. The only experience I have in catching mice involved a box and quick feet. 
And I've always known about the classic and in my opinion, horrific mouse traps like this:
{source}
So when our landlady offered us some glue traps to catch our mouse friend I, being oblivious to the end result of using this trap, thought it was a wonderful idea.  We would catch it in the glue, and (again oblivious) gently set it free to live happily in the fields behind our home. 
Not so, as I'm sure most you all know this already.  
(note: by the way, Tim was just as clueless. He is very much a part of this story.) 


The glue trap was set and sure enough our mouse friend, so cute, got caught in the glue. 
Alright, Next step: me, " Okay, so how do we get him off the glue?"Then there's me trying to gently pull him of the glue..."Err, I can't get him off..." "Maybe warm water." No luck. 
Then we grab the instructions (don't ask me why I didn't look at these first.) and it says after the mouse is caught in the glue, to dispose trap, with the live mouse stuck to it!!! What kind of... really? I'd rather the mouse have died quickly in one of those snapping mouse traps.


Well I wasn't going to throw a live creature in the trash and I surely couldn't get myself to put it out of its misery by killing it. 
So I sat with a small tree branch and as carefully and gently as I possible, I pryed that little mouse free from the gluey goop. I was able to get him free and although the freeing process was painfully uncomfortable for him, and his entire lower half was covered in glue (hopefully it will shed away after time) he is in the fields now.  


So although our little mouse friend is away from our house and free, it wasn't a very pleasant journey to get there.




My lesson learned from this:
Read the label, um, don't use those darn glue traps to catch mice, and 
that mouse was really cute.
Any future resident mice, don't worry, I will try this trap next:

5 comments:

  1. The humane mouse traps work great! We used to live more in the country and had mice each change of season. This trap worked every time and my husband would drop off the mouse out by a farm on his way to work! http://www.amazon.com/Havahart-1020-Two-Door--3-Inch-Cage/dp/B0000DINGG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1310056031&sr=8-4

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will try this one. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, how awful for you and that poor little mouse! I'm with you, there's no way I could have thrown a live mouse in the trash. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a coincidence! My husband swears he saw a mouse in our house one night about a week ago but we haven't seen any sign of him since? I hope he made his way out that night! I certainly won't buy the glue trap if we do see him again!
    What a horrible experience for you!
    ~ joey ~

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are so sweet, and such a cute writer! I don't know what I would do if we had a little mousey in the house!

    -Heather from lifeofapasseri.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all your comments!

Pin It button on image hover